You think about this more when you have kids. You realize you’ll one day receive the same looks of wide-eyed shock you gave your own parents when they explained party lines, black-and-white television and smoking on airplanes.
1. Using a camera with film. Waiting for said film to be developed. At a store. Splurging for one-hour service.
2. Prank phone calls. Having a landline. Not having caller ID. Paying 75 cents to use *69.
3. Renting movies. VHS tapes. Having to (be kind and) rewind them or be fined.
4. Making mix tapes from the radio. Buying CDs in stores. Scratched discs (the horror).
5. Newspapers. For current events. Checking the weather. Stocks.
6. Writing checks. Traveler’s checks. Check registers.
7. Getting lost. Stopping at a gas station to ask for directions. Using a paper map.
8. Pay phones. Collect calls. Calling cards.
9. Roll-over minutes. Flip phones. Car phones. Pagers.
10. The TV Guide channel. The paper TV guide. Having to be home to watch your shows, with commercials.