It felt like spring today, so why not bake with cherries. This really is how my mind works.
I found a recipe for cherry muffins on about.com under the Southern food section. It cracks me up that such a section exists.
frantic fun part of making these was realizing, mid-way through, that we had no eggs. I decided to use apple sauce instead and hoped for the best. I couldn’t tell a difference – at all – and enjoy the fact that no chickens were involved in making these muffins.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cherries (I used canned, drained sweet cherries)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (I used vanilla extract)
- 1 large egg (I used apple sauce instead)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
In a medium bowl, combine the salt, baking powder, flour, sugar, and cinnamon; add cherries and stir gently to blend. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, flavoring, milk and melted butter until well blended. Stir egg and milk mixture into the dry mixture. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake cherry muffins at for 20 to 25 minutes.