In college I was a frequent visitor to the Gold Bar in Tempe. I used to head to this unique coffee and tea house to pretend to study. I generally spent all my time texting or people watching but it was a solid effort on my part to do the studious/urban outfitters/emo thing.
I went tonight to meet Keri and it was great to be back. I had one of the best teas I have ever tasted and it was called Get Happy. It was decaf so I guess that means happiness is not derived from caffeine. I think the tea made me happy, as well as the half pound slice of carrot cake I tried.
To get an idea of the charm of this place, located literally in a parking lot, check out the Top 10 list they have on their Web site:
- Top Ten Reasons for Choosing Gold Bar Espresso:
- 10. We don’t have naked ladies on our cups.
- 9. We have loyalty cards that’s like a 10% discount.
- 8. We never have to close to retrain our staff.
- 7. We do not assult your ears with cds we’re trying to unload.
- 6. Our coffee is fresh roasted by people who know what they’re doing.
- 5. We have live jazz and classical guitar on the weekends.
- 4. Our caring staff want you to have the best drinks possible.
- 3. We have dog bones for your dogs.
- 2. We have granita…fresh and frozen without using ice or powder. They have blended drinks, blah and diluted.
- And the number one reason for chosing Gold Bar…
- 1. We don’t charge you more for the GOOD coffee.